In this tech note, we’ll walk through the steps to connect a FlexEdge DA50 or DA70 to RLConnect24. Connecting the device to RLConnect24 requires a standard VPN client license. To learn more about this license contact your local Red Lion sales representative.
In this tech note we’ll perform the following tasks:
- Create a configuration file in RLConnect24
- Insert the configuration & password file into a Crimson database
- Configure VPN client settings within Crimson
- Use RLAccess to connect to the FlexEdge device remotely
FlexEdge DA50, DA70, Crimson 3.2 & RLConnect24
Create Configuration file on RLConnect24
- Connect to the RLConnect24 portal & login. Once logged in, navigate to Administration. Then open the project you’d like to add your FlexEdge to.
- Then click Create new device
- Select Device Type to the appropriate model, and give a name for the device
- Enter LAN address of the device
Download the device configuration file to your PC by clicking on the red download icon. The configuration file is a Zip file that contains a VPN configuration and password file. You'll need to open the zip file and extract both files.
- Next open Crimson 3.2 to configure the VPN settings. Once Crimson is open, click Tunnels, located in the Navigation Pane under Device Configuration, Hardware Configuration.
- Select One from the OpenVPN Bridges dropdown box.
- Commit this hardware change by clicking the red notification in the bottom right corner, labeled Hardware.
- Then click Commit Changes in the middle pane
- Next configure the TAP 1 interface located in the Navigation Pane, under System Configuration, Network, Tunnels
- Select Config File from the Tunnel Mode drop down box. Then Drag and drop the vpnclient.ovpn file into the Configuration File box. Next drag and drop the user_passw.auth file into the Password File box. The password file is located in the private folder
- Select the Interface tab to configure the VPN interface. Select Configured by Peer from the Interface Mode dropdown box
- Assuming you have already made IP address changes to the LAN interface to match the configuration file you created in RLConnect24 & the FlexEdge device is connected to the internet, you are ready to update the database on the FlexEdge device by clicking the Update icon within Crimson.
- Once complete, open RLAccess and log into your account. Expand the project and click on the device you previously created. Once your FlexEdge is up and connected you'll see a green button labeled Connect to Device. Click this button to create a VPN connection from your PC to the FlexEdge device.
With this VPN connection, you are now able to communicate with devices directly connected to the LAN interface of FlexEdge just as if you were local.
Note: Connecting FlexEdge to RLConnect24 offers an easy way to connect to your remote application. FlexEdge does not allow data acquisition into RLConnect24 at this time.