1. Log into the switch from your Web browser. The default username and password are admin/admin.
2. In the menu on the left side, expand the Port menu and then expand the Rate Limit submenu.
3. To configure rate limiting on data entering a port, click the Input Port Configuration menu. To limit the amount of data exiting a port, click the Output Port Configuration menu.
4. For each port that you would like to enable Rate limiting, click the Enabled box and then enter the rate limit you would like to set in the appropriate box.
5. After making the desired changes, click apply to activate the changes.
6. To save your changes and make them active at startup, go to the system menu and under File management select Copy Operations.
7. From the drop-down list, select Running-config to startup-config.
8. Select the configuration file used at startup (ex- startup1.cfg) and click Apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which managed switches support Message Rate Limiting?
A: All Sixnet switches support Message Rate Limiting.
Q: What exactly does Message Rate Limiting do?
A: Message rate limiting restricts the amount of Broadcast and Multicast traffic that passes through the switch. It has no effect on other types of communication, such as unicast.
Q: Is message rate limiting adjustable?
A: On all ET, SL, SLX, EK and EF switches, rate limiting is not adjustable; it can only be enabled and disabled on a per-port basis. The rate limits are fixed based on message type and priority. The rates are as follows:
|Background||10% of link capacity|
|Normal||20% of link capacity|
|Expedited||40% of link capacity|
|Urgent||80% of link capacity|
The EL series supports fully adjustable rate limiting on both ingress and egress. This can be done on a per-port basis.
It is the customer's responsibility to review the advice provided herein and its applicability to the system. Red Lion makes no representation about specific knowledge of the customer's system or the specific performance of the system. Red Lion is not responsible for any damage to equipment or connected systems. The use of this document is at your own risk. Red Lion standard product warranty applies.
Red Lion Technical Support
If you have any questions or trouble contact Red Lion Technical Support by clicking here or calling 1-877-432-9908.
For more information: http://www.redlion.net/support/policies-statements/warranty-statement