Industrial Automation Tech Note 11 - TNIA11
This document describes how to use Crimson 3 to configure the Red Lion Controls (RLC) Instrument Driver to communicate with Red Lion Controls Panel Meters with ASCII serial communications capabilities.
RLC CR1000 HMI, CR3000 HMI, DA Series Data Stations, DSP, G3 HMI, G3 Kadet HMI, Graphite® Controller, Graphite HMI, Modular Controller, and ProducTVity Station™
Configuring communication between Crimson programmed products withT\ the panel meter associated with each previously identified RLC product must be correctly configured to ensure proper operation. Crimson 3 is used to configure panel meter communications and protocol settings.
Crimson® 2.0, 3.0, or 3.1
This document describes how to use Crimson 3 to configure panel meter communications, protocol, port, and data tag settings.
Panel Meter Configuration
Panel meter configuration consists of specifying the communication settings required for communications between the panel meter and Crimson 3, selecting the protocol to be used for the panel meter’s serial port, and creating a data tag for the device. Communication Settings The available communication settings vary between device types; referring to Figure 1 the black items below are common to all devices:
NOTE: Use of Abbreviated is recommended.
To select the protocol to be used, perform the following:
1. Start Crimson 3 and click on the port to be configured.
2. Click Pick, next to the Driver option; the Driver Picker for Serial Port popup shown in Figure 2 appears.
3. Select Red Lion as the Manufacturer and RLC Instrument as the Driver.
4. Click OK.
5. Configure the remaining Port Settings to match the panel meter.
Referring to Figure 3, perform the following:
1. From the Navigation Pane, click on the desired device below the port; DEV1 in this example; the Communications - RS-485 Comms Port - DEV 1 popup appears.
2. Set the Drop Number to match the Addr setting of the panel meter; 1 in this example.
3. Select the appropriate Red Lion Device; PAXI/PAXCK/PAXDP in this example.
4. Set the Protocol Mode to Abbreviated.
Data Tag Creation
Create the data tag to be associated with the panel meter by performing the following:
1. Create a new Numeric tag.
2. Change the Tag’s source to the RLC device; the Select Address popup shown in Figure 4 appears.
3. Enter the Register ID of the parameter to be associated with this tag; A in this example. Refer to the Register Identification Chart in the Communications section of the panel meter’s user manual for additional information.
4. Click OK.
It is the customer's responsibility to review the advice provided herein and its applicability to the system. Red Lion makes no representation about specific knowledge of the customer's system or the specific performance of the system. Red Lion is not responsible for any damage to equipment or connected systems. The use of this document is at your own risk. Red Lion standard product warranty applies.
Red Lion Technical Support
If you have any questions or trouble contact Red Lion Technical Support by clicking here or calling 1-877-432-9908.
For more information: http://www.redlion.net/support/policies-statements/warranty-statement