Industrial Automation Tech Note 06 - TNIA06
This document describes how to use Crimson 3 to configure/enable Ethernet download from the
front panel of compatible Red Lion products.
Red Lion Controls CR1000 Human Machine Interface (HMI), CR3000 HMI, Data Acquisition (DA10, DA30), Data Station Plus, G3 HMI, G3 Kadet HMI, Graphite® Controller, Graphite HMI, Modular Controller, and ProducTVity Station™
The default configuration state of the Ethernet port is “disabled” on the previously listed Red Lion
Products. Therefore, a device’s Ethernet port must be enabled before Ethernet downloads can
Crimson® 3.0 or 3.1
By default, the Ethernet port found on compatible Red Lion devices is not enabled for downloading. Refer to the Crimson 3 System Menu or Crimson 3 System Console Technical Notes for information on enabling Ethernet download from the front panel of such units.
Crimson 3 Configuration
Crimson 3 must be configured to support Ethernet downloads. Refer to Figure 1 and perform the following:
1. Open Crimson 3.
2. Go to the Communication section.
3. From the Navigation Pane, click on Network; the Communications - Network popup appears.
4. Click the Ethernet 1 tab.
5. Set the Port Mode option to Manual Configuration.
6. Define/enter the IP address that will be assigned to the unit; 192.168.1.20 in this example
NOTE 1: Ensure the specified IP address is reachable by the computer you are using.
NOTE 2: Depending on the device being programmed, a cross-over cable to download over a direct connection may be required.
7. Referring to Figure 2, click on the Download tab.
8. Set the IP Download option to Enabled; Unit Addressing can be set to Manual if you are changing the IP address or have specified the DHCP setting for Ethernet.
9. If the IP address and download are not already enabled in the unit, download this configuration using the USB or RS232/RS485 connection.
10.Set the Link->Options to TCP/IP to have Crimson 3 use TCI/IP as the communications link to the unit; the Download Database via TCP/IP screen shown in Figure 3 is displayed.
When updating a device over Ethernet, it is important to check the build of Crimson 3 you are using by clicking Help->About on the menu bar. If the build of Crimson is different than the version indicated on the boot screen of the device, a compact flash memory card will be required to update the firmware prior to updating the configuration.
NOTE: A device can also be updated without a compact flash by connecting locally using USB or serial programming cables to update the firmware.
It is the customer's responsibility to review the advice provided herein and its applicability to the system. Red Lion makes no representation about specific knowledge of the customer's system or the specific performance of the system. Red Lion is not responsible for any damage to equipment or connected systems. The use of this document is at your own risk. Red Lion standard product warranty applies.
Red Lion Technical Support
If you have any questions or trouble contact Red Lion Technical Support by clicking here or calling 1-877-432-9908.
For more information: http://www.redlion.net/support/policies-statements/warranty-statement