There are rare reports of a “failed to read current time from station” in the tool kit whilst loading or setting time in an ST-IPm-8460. The issue is resolvable in the field with two steps, (1) resetting the clock in the ST-IPm-8460 and (2) reloading firmware to the ST-IPm-8460.
Use Case: Correcting “failed to read current time from station” error.
Sixnet I/O Tool Kit 5.0.101 or later
ST-IPm-8460 firmware 7.0.101 or later
Load inittab file to reset the system clock and cycle power
- Download the ‘inittab’ file attached to this technical note.
- Connect to the ST-IPm-8460 via serial or Ethernet.
- Open the Sixnet I/O Tool Kit and add the ST-IPm-8460 to the project.
- Go to the Operation Menu-> File Operation option select.
- In File Operation pop-up go to ‘/etc/’ path.
- Click on Load file-User File button, browse to the ‘inittab’ file that was downloaded from the bottom of this technical note. Save the file name to the station should be ‘/etc/inittab’ then click on OK. Observe the pop-up loading file into the ST-IPm-8460. Then close File operation pop-up.
- Cycle power (turn power off, then turn power on) to the ST-IPm-8460. This operation with the new ‘inittab’ file will reset the system clock in the ST-IPm-8460. At this point the error is resolved, but the factory installed ‘inittab’ file must be loaded back to the ST-IPm-8460. The best way to do this is to re-load the firmware file.
Reload firmware to the ST-IPm-8460
- Go to redlion.net/automation-devices-software-firmware and download and extract the firmware for the ST-IPm-8460.
- Connect to the ST-IPm-8460 via serial on port B and Ethernet.
- In the Sixnet I/O Tool Kit go to Upgrade Firmware-Advanced Operations-Upgrade Firmware.
- In the firmware follow the onscreen instructions exactly. When prompted for the communication type select “Use Ethernet and serial communications.”
- Once the firmware is loaded the factory ‘inittab’ file is loaded and the original error is resolved. Load the configuration and continue using the ST-IPm-8460.
It is the customer's responsibility to review the advice provided herein and its applicability to the system. Red Lion makes no representation about specific knowledge of the customer's system or the specific performance of the system. Red Lion is not responsible for any damage to equipment or connected systems. The use of this document is at your own risk. Red Lion standard product warranty applies.
Red Lion Technical Support
If you have any questions or trouble contact Red Lion Technical Support by clicking here or calling 1-877-432-9908.
For more information: http://www.redlion.net/support/policies-statements/warranty-statement